Huston, Spring is here! We are starting to get a regular schedule and you love all of the fun things we are doing. We have joined two different MOPS groups and regularly do story time, the community center and play dates. With all of this pretty weather we have been getting out more and are starting to appreciate all of the beautiful scenery we are surrounded by.
We try to get to story time at the library before it starts so you can pick out some books to take home. You spend a lot of time selecting them and we read them in the library.....but once you get them home you completely ignore them until they are due. I think we are going to try to only check out one book at a time and see if that makes a difference. You do like story time, but you are kind of between the toddler and preschool age groups and it depends on the books on how interested you are. You sit with me and Nolan at first, but will slowly make your way to the circle. Since you like to be class clown, I think the quiet room intimidates you a bit. You also learned the heartbreak of outgrowing a friend. When we first started going your friend Ryver was always there and now that we don't see him as often, you asked me why he doesn't like you anymore. It has a lot more to do with him not being in the same places as you, but I think in your little heart you took it as he doesn't want to play with you.
There is a park by our house that we love. It is by the water so it's scenic, it's clean, close to home and has lots of fun playground equipment (on soft flooring). Nolan and I can sit in the grass and watch you run wild. The last few times we went you instantly made a friend and played, climbed rocks and rolled down hills. You also think going barefoot in the grass is the best thing ever.
![]() |
| "Big rock" Rolling and Rolling Picnic Made sure we all felt the "tickles" |
You still like the YMCA and are becoming a class helper. They've mentioned several times that you have gotten onto other kids "They don't like that here" and that you like to help out. Your favorite thing to do there is swim and you drive us completely nuts asking to go. You've also been asking to go to the beach and Disneyland....I think we might need to start teaching you vacation vs. every day life.
You are becoming more and more independent daily. You get yourself dressed in the morning and do a pretty good job cleaning up after yourself when asked. You have a few favorite outfits and I have to convince you when it's time to rotate them and wash them if you feel it necessary to wear the same one multiple days in a row. You would wear your Cars shirt and shorts daily if allowed.
Your newest thing is your "party". I'm not sure how this originated, I think it had something to do with a fort we made on a rainy day once, but it has evolved into you throwing all of your pillows, blankets and stuffed animals in a pile, burying yourself underneath and calling it your party. It makes you very happy, so for now...you can have all the parties you want. Later as you change your idea of a party, that may change.
I love hearing you play and I hear myself in your toys' conversations. It keeps me on my toes with what phrases I choose to use around you. Nothing like hearing you tell your toy to "Quit screwing around" to make me thing twice about my choice of words. You will also ask me "Is this far enough?" when you are playing outside and go too far. Or my favorite, when you tell Nolan "That's a good job, buddy."
You love playing with Nolan and you two are so funny. At five months, he can roll and scoot around a little and he loves being in the middle of things with you. He will grab your toys, your hair, your shirt....anything to get your attention. You laugh and giggle with him and love it when we make "him speak" (we use him like a baby ventriloquist dummy sometimes). You are very concerned that he only plays with soft toys, doesn't eat grass and if he is crying you will tell me to "Give him boobies" or "Sing him a song". My heart completely melts when I glance over and you are holding his hand.
I can't write one of these posts without including your funny Hustonisms. You call me "my lady", if you think we are teasing or tricking you you say "You tricker", instead of cannonball you say "cannonbox", and you wont eat foods with "dirty things" which is anything you don't like.
The best conversation ever went like this:
Lisa, "Doug, what kind of cake do you want for your birthday?"
Doug, "Chocolate with chocolate chip frosting."
3 minutes pass
Huston from the backseat, "Did someone just say cake?"
Hilarious.
My heart grows bigger every day for you and your brother and I feel so blessed and fortunate to be able to stay home with you. I know a day will come when you will be in school, sooner than I am ready, so I am enjoying it while I can. Watching you learn things and seeing you become the sweet, funny, smart boy you are makes me so proud and I can't wait to see what you will do next. Love you buddy.











No comments:
Post a Comment